PRINCESS Diana would have been “very upset” by the fall out between Prince William and Prince Harry if she was still alive, her former bodyguard has claimed.
Earlier this year, it was revealed that Prince William and Prince Harry fell out badly in the wake of his decision to step down as a senior member of the Royal Family. Omid Scobie, co-author of Finding Freedom, a book written about Meghan Markle and Harry without any input from the couple, said Prince William was furious with Harry and Meghan Markle for “damaging the Royal Family’s reputation” by posting their plans online without discussing it formally with the family first.
Following the announcement in January, it was reported the brothers had “barely spoken and cut contacts for two months’. And now, Diana’s former bodyguard, Ken Wharf has claimed the Princess of Wales would have been “very upset” with the situation. In a recent interview with Vanity Fair, Mr Wharfe explained why he thinks Diana would have been a big factor in mending the fraternal relationship.
He said: “She had tremendous influence over them both and I simply don’t think they would have fallen out like this had Diana been around because she would not have allowed it to escalate. “She would have quickly instigated a resolution. “I don’t think Harry and Meghan would have left Kensington Palace if Diana was still around. “If she could see the brothers at war, she would have been very upset about it. She always loved the fact the boys were so close.”
Finding Freedom claims Prince Harry branded William a “snob” when he warned his brother about “this girl”, Meghan Markle. After that, the brothers’ relationship significantly deteriorated until it reached a boiling point with the announcement of Megxit this year. Since then, however, Diana would be pleased to know her sons have reunited for one, meaningful effort – the erection of the Princess Diana statue. In a rare joint statement since Prince Harry relocated to Los Angeles, Kensington Palace released a joint statement on behalf of the brothers.
The statement read: “The statue that Prince William and Prince Harry have commissioned to commemorate their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, will be installed next year on what would have been her 60th birthday. “The statue was commissioned to mark the 20th anniversary of her death and recognise her positive impact in the UK and around the world. “The statue will be installed in the Sunken Garden of Kensington Palace on July 1, 2021, marking the Princess’s 60th birthday. “The Princes hope that the statue will help all those who visit Kensington Palace to reflect on their mother’s life and legacy.”
It is understood that the design stages of the project have been delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic. William and Harry announced towards the end of 2017 they had chosen artist Ian Rank-Broadley for the job.
He is known for his effigy of the Queen which has appeared on UK and Commonwealth money since 1998. The brothers said in a joint statement at the time: “Ian is an extremely gifted sculptor and we know that he will create a fitting and lasting tribute to our mother.” The Sunken Garden in Kensington Palace is understood to have been Diana’s favourite place on the grounds.