The King is said to be extremely relieved that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly not planning on releasing any more royal projects.
King Charles is said to be “breathing a sigh of relief” about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported decision to cease producing any projects related to the Royal Family, according to a royal source. It was reported earlier this week that the Sussexes, whose Netflix docu-series Harry & Meghan lifted the lid on their time as working royals and was followed shortly by Harry’s controversial memoir Spare, are set to change direction with the content they produce as part of their deals with Netflix and Spotify, among others.
According to the New York Post Charles is “breathing a sigh of relief” over the change, with royal correspondent Charles Rae telling GB News that the royals have previously been “careful with what they say” around the couple. Harry and Meghan have already begun producing content that is not linked with their life as working royals, following their decision to step down from royal duties in 2020 and relocate to the US.
Last year Meghan released her podcast Archetypes, where she and a variety of celebrity guests investigate and break down the stereotypes used to define women. Their other non-fiction docu-series “Live to Lead” was also released on Netflix on New Year’s Eve 2022 and featured a number of interviews with inspirational figures. A source told The Sun regarding Harry and Meghan’s decision: “That period of their life is over — as there is nothing left to say.”
Prince Harry is set to return to the UK next week, however the King will miss the chance to catch up with his youngest son as he is on a “private visit” to Romania. After touching down in Bucharest he met with Romanian President Klaus Iohannis for a bilateral meeting on Friday afternoon, however he has now retreated to his holiday home in Transylvania to enjoy a rest in the stunning countryside. Harry made a fleeting return to the UK for his father’s Coronation last month but due to the tightly-packed schedule, it is not thought the pair had a chance to catch up.
The Duke was also keen to fly back to California as soon as possible after the ceremony wrapped in order to get back for his son Prince Archie’s fourth birthday. Charles and Harry’s paths also nearly crossed again back in March when Harry made an appearance at London’s High Court for a hearing into a case against Associated Newspapers Limited. The King was in the UK unexpectedly at the same time as his royal visit to France was postponed last-minute due to large protests in the country. Just a couple of days later Charles and Queen Camilla travelled to Germany for the planned second leg of the tour, which was able to take place as normal.
Although he will miss being reunited with Harry the King will likely make use of his time in Romania indulging in some of his favourite pastimes. His home there has no TV or WIFI, and he will spend his days there walking, reading and painting, and Camilla will not be joining him. It is thought his wife will be enjoying some time to herself at her Wiltshire getaway Ray Mill, which she bought following her divorce from Andrew Parker-Bowles in the 1990s.